Nutrition interventions include actions recommended by the metabolic dietitian to address identified nutrition problems and support optimum management of the individual with VLCAD.
The recommendations in this guideline (see the next section-Nutrition Recommendations) summarize the evidence and consensus on best practices for individuals with VLCAD in order to:
- Meet nutrient needs for growth, development and health maintenance
- Provide interventions to achieve optimal nutritional status and maintain metabolic stability
- Provide nutrient supplementation or other treatment modalities to improve outcomes
- Utilize monitoring to inform adjustment to the nutrition prescription and care plan during both chronic and acute care
- Reduce risk of secondary complications
- Support women through childbearing years